If your unmeasured bill is high, you are a low user or you live on your own, you could save money by having a meter installed. A lot of our customers have already made the switch and found that a meter works for them.
Here are the benefits:
We’ll install it free of charge (for households only)
- The less water you use, the lower your bill
Households with meters tend to use less water
You could save money.
Helps reduce your carbon footprint.
You can switch back to your unmeasured charge at anytime up to 2 years from the date the meter was installed*.
*This option is only available to you, if you requested the meter to be installed. If you move into a property which already has a meter, this option is not available.
About measured charges
Measured charges are based on a fixed service charge plus how much water you use. If you decide to switch to a water meter, we'll send you a bill every six months (when we read the meters in your area). This means you will no longer receive your annual unmeasured bill. Find out more about measured charges.
Still unsure if a meter is for you...
Before you decide, you can use our online usage calculator. We'll ask you some questions and then estimate your usage and charges. This may help you decide if a meter is right for you.
Please be aware our calculator is reliant on accurate information from you. If you are unsure about any of the questions, you can complete the calculator another day once you have thought about how you use water.
Once you have completed the calculator, if you are unhappy with your estimate, there is no requirement to apply for a meter. You may return to our homepage.
How to apply for a meter
If you would like a meter installed:
Complete our online usage calculator.
Complete our online application form by clicking “apply for a meter” at the end of the calculator. We’ll install a meter within 3 months of receiving your application (where practical to do so).
We will contact you to arrange an appointment to visit your property.
We will visit to check if a meter can be fitted.
- If we can fit the meter the first day we visit, we’ll do so
- If we can’t fit a meter the first day we visit we’ll let you know why we need to call again
- If we can’t fit a meter but you may be able to do some work to allow us to fit a meter (eg remove some boxing, install an internal stop tap, expose some pipe work) , we’ll ask you to do the work and call again to fit the meter once done
- If we can’t fit a meter at all, no work will make it possible to do so, we’ll tell you why and we may place you on our Assessed Measured Charge
Please continue to pay your charges. Within a month of the meter being installed, we’ll update your water account and we’ll send you details all about it and if we’ve revised any payment plan or if there’s a refund coming to you.