Dwr Cymru Welsh Water
My Account Here to Help

We understand that not everyones situation or needs are the same and for this reason we have our service 'Here to Help'. This service helps those customers who are disabled, elderly, have a medical condition or have learning difficulties.

You can sign up to 'Here to Help' for free and tailor the services to your individual needs. Here's a list of the services we offer.

If you're blind or visually impaired

We can provide bills, and our leaflets in:

  • Large print
  • Braille
  • Audio tape/CD/MP3

If you're deaf or hard of hearing

  • You can call us using our text relay service on 18001 followed by the number required. This is a free service that allows you to speak or type.

If you find it difficult to read the meter because of a disability we can...

  • Read the meter more often (every three months)
  • Move the meter free of charge (in some circumstances), so it's easier for you to read/check

If you have a medical condition and cannot be without water we can...

  • Let you know if we're turning the water off and
  • Make alternative arrangements e.g. provide you with bottled water

Stop bogus callers by...

  • Nominating a neighbour to check the identity of the caller (if you're unable to)
  • Using our password scheme

Further details about the eligibility criteria can be found in our Here to Help booklet.


Interested? Sign up for our 'Here to Help' services by:

  • Option 1 - Print off and complete the Here to Help application form and send it to us at the following address: Dŵr Cymru Welsh Water, Freepost SWC 5253, Cardiff CF3 5GY.
  • Option 2 - You can request a copy of the Here to Help application form via post by calling us on 0800 052 0145 between 9am and 5pm Monday to Friday. Alternatively, you can request one via text relay on Telephone or text 18001 & the number you want to call.
  • Option 3 - If you're unable to complete the form yourself, we're happy to do it for you. Please call us on 0800 052 0145 between 8am and 8pm Monday to Friday and 8.30am to 1.30pm on Saturday. Alternatively, you can use text relay on Textphone: 18001 & number you want to call.

We are currently unable to accept online applications.

WPDWestern Power Distribution

Western Power Distribution distributes electricity in South Wales – if you have a power cut you can report it by calling 105. If you think you may need extra help during a power cut due to being medically dependent on electricity, elderly or disabled or if you have specific communication needs you can find out about their Priority Service Register - here.